Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog post #6

Wendy Drexler's "Networked Student," served as an eye-opener for me. Everything that children will be able to do online now, and even more so in the next few years, makes me wonder if children will even need a teacher. All learning can be done online. This is if the children find reliable sources. They can communicate with the teacher and other students using any social network.

 As of right now, I am not sure if I am prepared to be a teacher of the networked student. Up until the past few years, I have not been a networked student myself. I have also learned more about the use of the internet this year than I ever have. There is still so much more that I need to understand. Hopefully, by the time I graduate, I will be prepared to be a teacher of the networked student.

 I really enjoyed watching "A seventh Graders Personal Learning Environment." She had all of her sites organized so well. It made it so much easier for her to find everything she needed. She had her school work separated from her leisure activities. I would have to say that her PLE was more organized than mine but it made me want to change mine for the better.

3 comments:

  1. I have never been a network student either and I am unsure if I could teacher such a class as well. I never even owned a computer till I was a sophomore in high school and I still don't understand how to use it have the time. it's amazing how today's students know how to use technology in such a way. I hope to learn more about it so I can be a more efficient teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have never been a networked student until now. I do think however that teachers are still very much needed for the networked student. The teacher shows them how to properly and effectively use the internet. Without the teacher's guidance, the student might have trouble distinguishing valid from invalid information and they also teach them how to communicate effectively online. I think it's a great idea for students and helps them to learn in a new and exciting way. I also enjoyed reading about the young girl's PLE. I also have a lot of work and improving to do on my PLN and she gave me inspiration to do so. I enjoyed your post and good luck in the rest of EDM 310!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't lose faith in the need of teachers!! This class really is just a glimpse of what we as educators will have to adapt to if we want to be relevant in the education environment. We will learn over the next 5-10 years how much technology will be an asset instead of a plague like so many "old school" teachers like to think!! Just realize that this isn't your parents teaching environment anymore!! Times are changing and just hang on for the ride!! Good post and stay motivated!!

    ReplyDelete