Thursday, May 30, 2013

Blog Post #2

Mr. Dancealot
This was a very fun video to watch. It showed a teacher that was trying to teach the class how to dance by just speaking and showing them diagrams on a powerpoint slide. When it came time for the students to actually dance, they had no idea how to do it. The teacher was teaching at them and not with them. Even when they tried to get up and learn the dance the teacher made them sit back down. It really shows the power of incorporating effective teaching methods into the classroom.

Teaching in the 21st Century- Brittnee
 I think that Kevin is right, things are changing and that everything is moving to all sorts of different types of media. Kevin Roberts is basically saying that one day teachers will no longer be needed. The video shows that children will be using computers more. Even though children will be used to using all kinds of different technology, they still need someone to show them how everything works. Using all kinds of different things in the classroom would be handy, but in some parts of the world children have never even seen a computer. That’s why we as teachers should have the knowledge of all the the different types of advancements so that we can keep the kids up to date as well as ourselves. We are now a filter to education rather than the only source. 

Networked Student- Hannah
Wendy Drexler's "Networked Student," served as an eye-opener for me. Everything that children will be able to do online now, and even more so in the next few years, makes me wonder if children will even need a teacher. All learning can be done online. This is if the children find reliable sources. They can communicate with the teacher and other students using any social network.


 As of right now, I am not sure if I am prepared to be a teacher of the networked student. Up until the past few years, I have not been a networked student myself. I have also learned more about the use of the internet this year than I ever have. There is still so much more that I need to understand. Hopefully, by the time I graduate, I will be prepared to be a teacher of the networked student.

 I really enjoyed watching "A seventh Graders Personal Learning Environment." She had all of her sites organized so well. It made it so much easier for her to find everything she needed. She had her school work separated from her leisure activities. I would have to say that her PLE was more organized than mine but it made me want to change mine for
the better.

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts- Amber 
Harness your students digital smarts is a video about technology in the classroom. Teacher Vicki Davis teaches her students to use their creativity as they use their computers. They create blogs and comment on other students blogs. They are a  very interactive class and are technology savvy. I think that is important in the classroom today. Vicki Davis is a great example of a 21st century teacher. She is open minded and allows the students to teach her as well. We both have something in common. I believe in learning together instead of standing in front of a classroom teaching and having students feel inferior to me. Vicki Davis inspires me to become a open minded teacher and more importantly have FUN in the classroom. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,
    It seems that we view alot of things the same. I cant wait to become a Elementary teacher as well. I agree with you, children can find out everything on the internet. That's why technology is so helpful. It will be a very useful tool in my future classroom. I look forward to reading more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hannah,
    I too am going for Elementary Education. I agree that you can find out everything on the internet. I can't wait to be able to let kids in my future classroom explore everything that is available to them. I'm excited to read your future post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Hannah! Not only does the Mr. Dancealot video show the importance of incorporating more effective teaching methods, it shows how important hands-on instruction is! You can't expect to learn dance moves just by reading words on a screen. Mr. Dancealot should have physically shown his students how to do the dance moves! Educators should be encouraging their students to "get their hands dirty" and really practice what they're learning.

    While yes, a lot of learning can be done online, we'll still need teachers. As Brittnee said in her post, teachers are becoming filters to information rather than the primary source. Students will find a lot of information online about subjects they study, but the teacher will be the one to lead them to the factual information and where they can find it.

    By the time you finish EDM310, you'll be a lot more technologically literate, I guarantee you! But of course you'll have to continue learning since technology advances so quickly!

    There are a few things I'd like to mention. First, you still have not included a picture in your post. Remember that each blog post must have at least ONE picture, and that picture must have ALT and TITLE modifiers! Second, you should add links to your posts. Add links to the blog posts you read or the videos you watch so others viewing your blog will be able to see what you're talking about! Also, you were supposed to post your two group members' parts of the assignment under your own. So you should go back and paste their parts into your blog post!

    Good luck and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete