Sunday, December 11, 2011

Blog Post #13

I chose to do option 4 for my blog post assignment. The book that I chose to read was called 1984. I read this book once before in the 8th grade and hated it. I disliked it so much that I could not even make myself read it. I believe that now as I have grown older I have developed an appreciation for the book. It is interesting to compare this book in retrospect to EDM 310. I believe 1984  looks down on technology to some degree.

The book is about a man named Winston Smith. Winston Smith is a low- ranked member of his regions party. The party's leader is called Big Brother. Big Brother is apparently watching you wherever you go. Big Brother knows everything that you say and even everything that you think. Winston does not like Big Brother. He meets a girl named Julia and they start to have an affair. Winston also keeps an illegally bought diary of his illegal thoughts. Winston confides in a man named O'Brian who he is sure is a member of the Brotherhood, which is a group seeking to overthrow Big Brother. Unfortunately this is not the case. Soon after meeting O'Brian, Julia and Winston go to there usual meeting spot in a room above the store where Winston bought his illegal diary. The shopkeeper turns them both in and Winston finds out that O'Brian was secretly a member of the reigning party. O'Brian tortures Winston until he finally begs him to torture Julia instead. With Winston's spirit crushed he has now been defeated and is a loyal supporter of Big Brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment